Wednesday 4 May 2022

Sandwich terns, Pennington Flash


What a remarkable morning at the flash even by recent standards, here is a quick summary of events:

7:50am a message off Bill Harrison alerted me to the presence of 28+ arctic terns on the flash.

9:00am a black tern appeared off the boat club and arctic terns still present. Misty drizzle.

9:25am I was on the point of the ruck in now pouring rain and watching a group of Arctic's landing on the spit when suddenly I heard the characteristic call of a Sandwich tern overhead. I watched it land on the spit and then took my eyes off it and messaged Bill who was on the bench in East Bay. On looking again I realised that there were actually 3 Sandwich terns now on the spit. They remained here for the next 1 hour 25 minutes, occasionally briefly flying up and around the flash but soon returning to the spit. During this time I saw them displaying. Unbeknown to me at the time, these three birds were probably the same as three seen earlier for 5 minutes at Elton Reservoir, Bury, before flying south west at 8:50am. 35 minutes to get to the flash.

10:00am Whilst photographing the Sandwich terns on the spit I noticed that there was a smaller bird with a black hood on the spit, surely a little gull but in those conditions and with no scope I couldn't be sure. Still pouring down and misty.

10:05am Little gull flew from spit, an adult with a complete black hood. I managed to get Bill on it from East Bay before it disappeared. It was not seen again. 

10:50am Sandwich terns spooked by a large gull, flew high and away over the ruck. Not seen again. Most Arctic terns and black tern still present. Rain eased slightly, but still misty.

Other birds today, plenty of hirundines of three species, at least 20 swift and a common sandpiper.




Despite the rain, the Sandwich terns were displaying on the spit.









I didn't see this little gull arrive, though I did apparently manage to photograph it's arrival. I was focusing on the Sandwich terns. 


Arctic and common terns.


Arctic tern.


This black tern appeared from nowhere and apparently stayed into the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts