Thursday 2 December 2021

Redscar Wood, River Ribble


The usual viewing area for the belted kingfisher at Tunbrook inlet on the Ribble was a little crowded when I arrived this morning, it wasn't very comfortable and I couldn't see much of the river, so I climbed back up to the footpath at the top of the cliff and then walked along the river and through Red Scar Wood towards Brockholes. Eventually I dropped down and found a viewing position that allowed me to view a different part of the river. I didn't see the belted kingfisher, but then nobody did, but I did have an excellent few hours all alone watching the bird life on the river.


There were a couple of green sandpipers on the opposite bank as well as two or three little egrets. Kingfishers flew back and forth and there were several goosander and mallard. Woodland birds included nuthatch, great spotted woodpeckers and a few thrushes and tits. An altogether more relaxing experience with the outside chance of finding the star bird for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts