Sunday 31 October 2021

Todd's Canada Goose, King's Moss, St Helens


Late yesterday afternoon a smart Todd's Canada goose was found by Neil Gordon at Crawford village just north of Rainford. These potentially vagrant Canada's are very exciting birds and a top prize on the Lancashire mosslands, so when I unexpectedly found myself with some free time this afternoon I decided to go for a look. 

As I was driving through King's Moss I saw some geese landing behind the Colliers Arms pub so I pulled over just in case. Fortunately the first group of geese I looked at contained the Todd's. Fortunate because I could see a walker coming along the track towards them and he was about to flush the birds. I managed a quick look through the scope, fired off about three photos and then they all went up and flew over the woodland towards Crawford. The weather quickly deteriorated, viewing became very difficult and despite hundreds of geese still being in the area, the Todd's wasn't seen again either at King's Moss, Crawford or Holiday Moss where they also sometimes go.


Todd's Canada goose hiding behind a pink-foot.


Doh!




Did I say that the weather deteriorated?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts