Friday 14 May 2021

Squacco Heron, Ynys-hir


I was working near Aberystwyth this morning and got lucky with a Squacco heron which turned up at Ynys-hir yesterday evening and was still there at mid day today. I was very lucky actually, it was on show and perched in a tree when I arrived at about 12 noon, I watched it for 15 minutes until it dropped down onto the ground and so far as I know it's not been seen since. Birdguides has just reported that it's not been seen during a 3 hour watch this evening. Squacco heron is a new UK tick for me, it's been a real bogey bird so great to see such a smart individual with full breeding plumes. There's a video of the bird further down the post.

How can I avoid seeing Squacco heron in the UK during a birding career stretching back nearly 50 years you may well ask. Well, for the first 10 years I'd probably never even heard of Squacco heron, then for the next 10 I probably had a series of bad luck and near misses, followed by another 10 years of bringing up a family and adopting the "It's not that rare, I'll see one eventually" attitude before spending the last 20 not too worried because I've got other things to do and I've seen plenty abroad so I'm not travelling hundreds of miles to see one in the UK. Before you know it, 50 years have slipped by.

This brings my UK life list to 436. Could be one or two more if I've missed a split, or one or two less if I've missed a lump, it's all a bit confusing these days!

Also today, plenty of pied flycatchers, redstarts, red kites and a single spotted flycatcher. Also ospreys at Dyfi.


Video: Squacco Heron, Ynys-hir









Near Cwmystwyth.


Ospreys at Dyfi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts