Sunday 28 June 2020

Hunting hobby, Pennington Flash


This morning I was sitting at the yacht club at Pennington Flash watching hundreds of hirundines, mainly sand martins and hundreds of swifts swirling around over the water. Suddenly at head height a hobby shot past me and started hunting sand martins right in front of me, no more than 10m distant. It twisted and turned with breathtaking speed and agility, and the sand martins scattered in all directions, but too late for one of them as the hobby honed in on its prey and plucked it out of the air with terrifying ease and then shot off across the flash, leaving me breathless. An amazing spectacle and one which I have never experienced before, at least not so close. Also on the club foreshore today, two common sandpipers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts