Friday 3 April 2020

Lowton Bird Observatory, Day 11


Spurred on by the success of last night and the scoter passage, today I decided to turn my attention to the often neglected East hide (also known as the front room, or Colin's cave).  The garden here is much smaller but the views are much wider and less enclosed and I always feel as if I'm likely to see more from here which is why I have the scope set up in this room.

Spending a few hours here has certainly paid off so far, with a new lockdown species in the shape of two kestrels as well as buzzards, raven, sand martin, grey heron and a few lapwings. In the photo above I'm looking east, so north (and Pennington Flash) is to the left and south is to the right. Almost directly east there is farm land and beyond that Hope Carr, so always a chance of movement between those places and the flash, but the downside is that birds tend to be more distant.

Late afternoon a brown shape appeared on top of a tree at the end of the road which it turns out is a singing song thrush, another new bird for lockdown birding.

This evening I had another session in the garden but failed to add any further species to the day list. Considering that we are on lockdown and told to stay at home to protect the NHS, there's an awful lot of road users out even right up to the time that I went to bed at 23.00. It's supposed to be essential journeys only, I'd love to know what's essential for most of these vehicles at 23.00 on a Friday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts