Monday 4 November 2019

Short-billed dowitcher, Dundalk, Ireland


About three weeks ago a dowitcher was found from Navvy Bank Walk in Dundalk harbour, County Louth, Ireland. It was initially identified as long-billed but then video footage emerged of the bird which showed markings in the greater coverts which are diagnostic of short-billed.

The bird is tidal, with mid tide being the best time to see it, and since I was working in the area today I took the opportunity to call in.



Whenever I start looking for a dowitcher I find it easy to fall into the trap of imagining that they are very similar to godwits, yet in reality they are nothing like them. Dumpy, small, short-legged, with thick bills and a very different feeding action, they're actually more like snipe. When I finally find what I'm looking for they're so different to godwits as make any earlier comparisons laughable. Just look at the photo above, the dowitcher on the left is considerably smaller than the redshank.

It took me a while to locate the bird today, I was on my own with no clear idea of exactly where to look and Navvy Bank walk stretches for about 2km (just over a mile).  At low tide the bird is usually out of view down a creek and at high tide it usually moves off to roost for a couple of hours with the other waders. When I eventually hit the jackpot today, it was about 400m distant but it was very obvious and a decent scope view. The diagnostic greater coverts were clear to see even at that distance. Fortunately the light was about perfect for viewing.

Short-billed dowitcher was a first for me and I think it is the 4th for Ireland.




Navvy Bank Walk.




1 comment:

  1. I see on the NI birds site you got to Myroe, looking forward to photos.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts