Wednesday 14 August 2019

A few days at Frampton Marsh


Another week working in Lincolnshire, and most of my evenings and any other spare time I have is spent at nearby Frampton Marsh, just seven miles down the road from my hotel. Lots of waders still around, though not the numbers of a week or two ago.  Even so this week I've recorded 20 species of wader, plus spoonbill (10), black-necked grebe and turtle dove. There's a decent passage of yellow wagtails at the moment with at least 30 on the sea wall and nearby saltmarsh, and there are hundreds of sand martins over the reserve.



Wood sandpipers are well down, where last week I counted 19 birds, today I had to be content with three. Still, under normal circumstances I'd have thought that three wood sandpipers was a good count!


Painted lady on sunflowers near reception hide.


Thirteen Spoonbills are currently on the reserve.



The dowitcher gave me a bit of a run around, but I finally caught up with it on the reed bed. It's not looking as red as it did a couple of weeks ago. This bird was about 250m away from where I was standing so not a bad effort by the Google Pixel 3a! Of course the Swarovski scope played its part as well, but really I was testing out my new phone camera.


There are flocks of black-tailed godwits on the reserve at the moment, probably numbering at least 500. They are in varying plumages, some are in near summer plumage like this bird, others are in non-breeding or juvenile plumage.



Black-tailed godwits.


It's good to see so many young avocets on the reserve, in many other places they seem to be heavily predated despite having very aggressive parents.


Ruff



A turtle dove from the turtle dove watch point, a bit distant but not a bad view in the scope. Last week I saw and heard another much closer, I even saw it displaying.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts