Sunday 23 June 2019

Blue-winged teal, Frankfield Loch


On my way up to Kirriemuir in Angus, Scotland today I called in at Frankfield Loch, Glasgow for a look at a blue-winged teal which has been present for a couple of weeks. My first ever blue-winged teal was at Pennington Flash on 21st September 1996 and I've seen a few since then but this is my first breeding plumage drake. It's a cracking bird, not showing much sign of eclipse despite the tatty looking mallards on the loch.

I wonder if this might be the same bird as that which was at Mellon Charles on Loch Ewe earlier in the year. That was a bird I particularly wanted to see because Mellon Charles is where I stayed with my Mum and Dad when we regularly visited the area back in the 1980s. There's a few hundred miles between the sites but this bird appeared shortly after the long staying Mellon Charles bird disappeared.  I hope that it is the same bird.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts