Sunday 14 October 2018

Rose-coloured starlings, St Helens and Greater Manchester


Not really my idea of birding, furtively wandering around a housing estate looking at every roof and into every back garden, binoculars around my neck and camera over my shoulder, trying not to look suspicious, not really knowing where I was supposed to be looking. Still, worth it in the end when I finally located the juvenile rose-coloured starling which has been present for a few days. Originally vaguely reported as "near St Helens hospital", I finally managed to track it down to an aerial opposite the closed Bowling Green Inn in Robins Lane. This is my third juvenile in the past 12 months. The second was just a week ago in Timperley, Greater Manchester.......


A St Helens tick for me.

St Helens bird. Note the tail showing no obvious wear (see below).


Timperley bird. A Greater Manchester tick for me!



There has been some discussion about whether or not the St Helens rose-coloured starling might be the same bird as that at Timperley last week. If you compare my photos of the two birds, you can clearly see that the Timperley bird has heavy tail wear, whereas the St Helens bird has a largely intact looking tail, making them two different birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts