Wednesday 2 August 2017

Greater Sandplover, Paphos


It's always good to start a holiday with something special, and today it was a greater sandplover at Paphos lighthouse. I've seen them here in the past, but only in winter and a bird at the beginnning of August was a bit unexpected, by me at least.

It's day one of our holiday to Cyprus, not a time of year I would have chosen personally but now that I'm here I'm trying to make the most of it. Also at the lighthouse today, several impressive agamas, a spiney lizard found only in the eastern Mediterranean and Africa.

In the evening we took the dogs for a walk to the Asprokremmos dam and saw a masked shrike, a hoopoe, about 20 turtle doves and a few red-rumped swallows, plus probable Cyprus warbler, but that will have to wait for another day to be confirmed.




Agama.


Some type of hoverfly, but I've no idea which.


Red-veined darter on the edge of our pool at Nata village.


1 comment:

  1. The Plover was a good find Colin, and the lizard looks quite impressive.
    Enjoy the holiday, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts