Friday 2 June 2017

A quick visit to Donegal


Today I had a flying visit to County Donegal, one of the few Irish counties I had never been to before. On the evidence of today it's a very beautiful part of the country which deserves a much longer visit. I made my way to Dunfanaghy on the north coast because that is one of the last remaining strongholds of corncrake on mainland Ireland.


Although there are corncrakes here, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as many places in the Outer Hebrides, just a handful of fields. However, following a meal and some Irish folk music in a bar in the town, I headed for this field and heard a corncrake  at quite close range, but it was a real pain to see. 




Nearby Horn head is a spectacular a piece of coastline as  any I've seen in Ireland. There are choughs here and a reasonable size seabird colony,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts