Sunday 21 August 2016

Pennington Flash

I went out today not really birding but looking for hoverflies at the flash. However down at the western end I looked up from photographing a hoverfly and found myself face to face with a juvenile black tern! While I was watching it a greenshank flew up calling from the bay and appeared to fly away, but 30 minutes later I heard it again from the same area. 





 There was a fantastic variety of hoverflies at the flash, here a few of my favourites.


What a beauty! The bumblebee mimic Eristalis intricarius. This is a female.



Baccha elongata (right) with Melanostoma scalare.


Dasysyrphus tricinctus.



Helophilus pendulus


Myathropa florea. Note the batman logo on it's thorax!


Syrphus sp. unfortunately not identifiable to species from photos.



Ling Calluna vulgaris in full flower. There were a lot of hoverflies in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts