Sunday 10 April 2016

Iberian chiffchaff? Higher Penwortham, Preston

I went to see the possible Iberian chiffchaff at Higher Penwortham this evening. It's a controversial bird, some say it's Iberian, others say it's just an ordinary chiffchaff with a very odd song. I'm no expert, but I think that the photos fit Iberian, albeit perhaps a rather dull bird. Note especially the yellow in front of the eye. The song is also a pretty good fit, though perhaps not perfect. Put it this way, it might not quite fit Iberian but it's even less like a normal chiffchaff! Atypical Iberian chiffchaff might be the best description! Uploading the recording of the song is proving a challenge. I've managed to put it here but you'll need to be registered with bird forums to access it. Hopefully I'll be able to make it more easily available later tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts