Monday 28 September 2015

Pectoral Sandpiper, Burton Mere Wetlands

I spent my lunch break at Burton Mere Wetlands today watching a Pectoral Sandpiper on the main scrape. As usual from the reception hide viewing was dificult, quite distant, against the sun and through the glass, but it could have been worse, viewing is much better from the Inner Marsh Farm hide, but if it had been there I wouldn't have had time to walk all that way and see the bird. Pec sand is one of my favourite waders and it was great to see my first of the year. According to my records, this was my 17th pectoral sandpiper but my first at Burton Mere.

Year: 258 (Pectoral Sandpiper). This time last year I as on 275.
 
I'd like to say that this was the bird from Burton Mere today, but unfortunately no, it didn't show this well! This is an adult from Swillington Ings in Yorkshire last June. Todays bird was a juvenile with prominent white scapular and mantle "V's".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts