Wednesday 4 March 2015

Duddon Mosses

I've driven past the Duddon estuary in Cumbria on many occasions, but today with a bit of free time on my hands I decided to have a good look around the place. I drove to Foxfield near Broughton and parked up at Angerton. The views of the estuary were stunning. On the other side of the river I could see a flock of about 500 pink-feet with 2 barnacle geese, whilst on the water there were 30 pintail. I then crossed the railway line on foot and walked to the Duddon mosses. This is an area of raised bog with spectacular views over the Lake District and lots of great plants, dragonflies and butterflies. Obviously it would have been better in summer, but plants today included wild cranberry, bog rosemary, cross-leaved heath and bog asphodel, as well as several species of sphagnum.


Looking towards Foxfield from Angerton.



Duddon Moss and the Old Man of Coniston.


Wild cranberry.


Bog rosemary.


Sphagnum papillosum.


Sphagnum denticulatum.


Probably Sphagnum subnitens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts