Thursday 22 January 2015

Some of Dave's photos

Dave Owen recently sent me a disk with some of his best photos of 2014. Up until now I've only very rarely put other peoples photos on this blog, but things are going to change on the blog this year, as will become apparent as the year goes on! So here we go.... these are some of my favourites.

Juvenile pallid harrier, Steart WWT 28th October 2014. What a cracker! I've only ever had a dodgy 15 second view of a pallid harrier, but this is an incredible bird which I'll have to make more of an effort to see well this year.

I mean, this is nothing like a ringtail hen or Monty! Talk about falcon like!

American buff-bellied pipit, Denhall Lane, Burton marsh, Dee estuary 16th January 2014. This was my last lifer of 2013, I saw it for the first time on Christmas Day! Thanks Santa! This cracking photo clearly shows the birds pale lores, which are one of the features which distinguish it from water pipit.

Crag martin, Flamborough Head, East Yorkshire 12th April 2014. I was with Dave when he photographed this. A very difficult bird to photograph, great photo.


Grrrr! I've never seen this bogey bird. Olive-backed pipit Roker, Sunderland, 22nd October 2014. I dipped on one at Spurn in September but at least had the consolation of a masked shrike.



American coot, Loch Flemington, Inverness-shire, 13th March 2014. I've never even come close to seeing one of these in the UK, but I have seen them in Central Park, New York.



First winter American herring gull, Campbeltown, Mull of Kintyre, Argyle, 9th March 2014. Nice white head!


Eastern crowned warbler, Brotton 1st November 2014. About time to! I saw this species in the UK five years ago, but it took Dave, Ray and John until 2014 to catch up.


Ring-necked duck, Newton Lake. Grrrr again! Found by Peter Loydell, I was in Hampshire when this beauty turned up. I don't think I've ever seen one that look this good. Nice one Dave, nice one Peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts