Friday 10 April 2009

Hilbre Island


The 17th


Snowdonia and Point of Ayr from Hilbre


Merlin



With south easterly winds and overcast, possibly light rain forecast for dawn, there was only one place for me to be today, and I was on the island at 7am.

Three weeks ago, the island was buzzing with Goldcrests, today it was the turn of Willow Warblers, with five birds in one trap alone, and at least 20 on the island. Also at least five Chiffchaffs. Another trap held a female Blackcap, and though I only saw one Gropper (Grasshopper Warbler), an amazing four were trapped on a quite early date for the species.
I saw at least three Wheatears, two White Wagtails, a few Swallows and a couple of House Martins. Many Meadow Pipits passed over the island, and there were a few Linnets and Goldfinches.

Out at sea there were at least 10 Gannets, one or two quite close, 10 Razorbills, a lone Guillemot, at least 100 Common Scoter, 4 Sandwich Terns and my first Arctic Tern of the year, flying over the West Hoyle bank, where about 200 Grey Seals were hauled up.

A female Merlin was at the north end, and showed exceptionally well, chasing waders and Meadow Pipits as they came in off the sea. On the rocks, there were still seven Purple Sandpipers, but the Brent Goose flock had shrunk to just five birds.

After leaving the island, I headed to Greenbank Road in West Kirby and very quickly found the three Waxwings which have been present for a few days. Then I went on to Red Rocks, which overlooks Hilbre from the mainland. Here there were at least five Red-throated Divers and 100 Common Scoter.

On the road to Red Rocks, I stopped off at the 17th green of the Royal Liverpool Golf club, where there was a flock of about 10 White Wagtails, 50 Meadow Pipits and two spectacular Yellow Wagtails, my first of the year.

All in all an excellent day. With more south easterlies forecast for Monday, guess where I'll be at 7am......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts