Pages

▼

Sunday, 30 August 2026

Minke whales at Peterburn


A flat calm day today, perfect for whale watching and midges, and Peterburn, just north of Gairloch, is a great place for both. Following another good morning at Big Sand with more views of the black-throated diver flock, I spent the afternoon at my favourite mainland viewing point and counted at least seven minkes scattered across the huge panorama of the Minch. 


The midges were just awful but honestly, who cares when the reward is this?


Looking towards Skye.


The black-throated diver flock at Big Sand had reached 16 birds today, all adults in summer plumage. A winter plumage diver joined them briefly but I wasn't convinced that it was the Pacific. I need to go back for another look before I leave the area.


Little and large. This small Canada goose was with a larger version at Big Sand. Is it a different race carried over one winter with the wintering flocks of barnacle geese or pink-footed geese on the Hebrides and now roaming North West Scotland, or just a feral runt? I guess we'll never know.


It is quite small though.....



There maybe more, click to find out >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment